Open Call for Participants — Conflict Mapping training (October 2019)
If we give you a MAP, would you be able to tell us where do you want to go and how?
The Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (YPAN) with the support of Libre-pensadores de la Sierra (LPS) invites you to discover the compass that will guide you towards a more inclusive society. That is why we created:
The Conflict Mapping Training
A proactive approach to the resolution and prevention techniques of conflicts within the Human Rights doctrine
What is this? A 6-day training course on conflict mapping and resolution
Who? 24 participants from:
- Spain, Poland, Ukraine, Cyprus, Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Lithuania, North Macedonia, Belgium, Russia.
When? From the 7–11 October 2019 (6th and 12th of October are the travel dates)
Venue: Cercedilla (Madrid, Spain)
Deadline to apply: 26th of August
You can APPLY HERE, but before… we recommend you to read the next information (what it is, how we do it and why, and how this is free for you) :)
WHY THIS PROJECT?
Conflict Mapping project was designed by the group of international youth workers and activists — members of YPAN — working in the peacebuilding field. We are living in times of difficult political context, where war and violence are still seen as a primary tool for conflicts resolution. We also found a deep need to explore with young people peaceful alternatives to conflict, and here is where our compass will try to make the change. As young peace activists, we believe that you can be the one that shapes the situation from a local perspective to bring a global action.
We are ready to take action, are you willing to take part?
The aim of the project is to empower 24 youth leaders to act as new changemakers in the local and regional conflicts in Europe by using human rights and peacebuilding mediation and strengthening their skills in the conflict transformation and community building that includes all opinions and leads to the participation of all society (including people with less resources).
WITH AN AIM… COMES THE OBJECTIVES…
- To develop participants competences in conflict transformation by exploring perspectives of human rights, peacebuilding and democratic participation.
- To improve participants skills in data analysis and research to map violent conflicts (based on the root-causes method) and how they affect young people.
- To empower participants to actively engage in solving the violent conflicts that are ongoing or may appear in Europe at the behavioral, cultural or structural level.
- To explore tools for nonviolent conflict resolution, such as mediation, community meetings, non-violent communication, deconstruction of the image of “the other”, intercultural learning and the principle of inclusivity.
- To plan local actions in the participants` communities in the format of community meetings in order to provide the counter-narrative preventing escalation of tensions.
- To enhance international cooperation of youth workers in the area of conflict prevention and transformation, by planning cross-border actions focussing on community building as a counter-balance for violent conflicts.
- To strengthen the sustainability of the network of young changemakers who will bring awareness for the citizens and policy-makers in the EU and neighboring countries on the existing conflicts and ways to transform them.
ARE YOU WILLING TO…?
- Join a group with an open mind, ready to take action, seeking for constructive learning, and willing to
- Change your way of behaving/living in an unlearning process of 5 days
- Create a community with respect, love and “sharing is caring” mood
- Show your best skills to others, offer an ear to hear and questions to ask
- Be in the middle of nature, practicing morning mindfulness, yoga or ninjutsu.
- Find what “outside the box” really means
- Believe that youth is part of the change…
THEN YOU ARE PERFECT FOR THIS PROJECT!
BESIDES, IF YOU PREFER TO…
- stick to your ideas, values or ways of living without questioning even a single rule
- show your power and super-ego towards the others
- go all-time party and drinking
- not listen to others thoughts or ideas
- be inside the comfort zone…
Then we recommend you to read “Civilization and its Discontents” (Sigmund Freud) in your closest library :)
HOW WE WORK (we try to be different)
The training course will be based on the principles of non-formal education: it will have a planned program of personal and social education for young people designed to improve a range of skills and competencies, outside the formal educational curriculum.
We will implement the basic elements of the non-formal education, such as the education being voluntary, organised with educational objectives, participatory and learner-centred, about learning life skills and preparing for active citizenship, based on involving both individual and group learning with a collective approach, holistic and process-oriented, as well as based on experience and action (we will plan the follow up activities) and starts from the needs of the participants.
COSTS, WHAT IS THAT?
We believe in one thing, the power of peace education and the right for all to have an opportunity. That is why, thanks to the ERASMUS+ scheme, we are able to provide this training for you for FREE. Accommodation, food, and materials used in the course are fully covered by the organizers.
Bare in mind that you will need to send the travel proposal before buying the planes to the coordination team. The European Commission (and so, the organizers) only refunds the cheapest trip for and back.
Also, you must come from the listed countries (so no need to be a national of the country…but the transport needs to be done from and to the partner countries).
AND… WHO ARE WE?
Youth Peace Ambassadors Network
The Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (YPAN) is an informal network of 70 young peacebuilders from across Europe who work with and in conflict-affected communities.
Majority of the members of the network are trained on human rights, non-formal education and conflict transformation by the Council of Europe in the long term project (2011–2014).
Our Mission: The YPA Network wants to develop a culture of peace by empowering young people, promoting human rights, dignity, equality and respect of diversity through education, advocacy and other non-violent actions through projects at local and international level.
As YPA Network we promote local and international peace building activities by young people around Europe.
The Association Libre-pensadores de la sierra de Madrid (LPS) is a cultural organization managed by young people from the north-west of Madrid region. The organization aims to the promotion of participative processes inclusive with youngsters and the spread of the culture of respect, human rights advocacy and democratic values. The organization activities started in 2013 taking action from then in more than 30 events, workshops and actions in Spain and other European countries (The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Portugal, and the UK).
DEADLINE… yep, if you send it soon we will look at it first :)
26th of AUGUST!
José B. Sevillano — Project coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
The content of the page represents the views of the author only and is their sole responsibility. The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.